EPC Assessors from Harvery's blog

In Canada and beyond, big brands are displaying their organic credentials, but Non-Domestic Energy Performance Assessors companies are insisting on a move past agenda-less verbiage.

Energy Performance Certificates are carried out by qualified energy assessors who will collect the data on site and then process the information into SBEM (Simplified Building Energy Model) which will calculate the energy rating of the building. This is required as part of the EU directive (EPBD). The assessor will also have the discretion to add or delete aspects of the report in relation to what he thinks is most relevant or beneficial to the owner in terms of new technology and systems that will improve the carbon footprint of the building. An Energy Performance Certificate is required whenever a property is being built, sold or rented. This applies to both the domestic and commercial sectors. It is a requirement to have an EPC before you can market your property to prospective buyers or tenants. For potential buyers, an EPC shows them how much they may spend on energy bills, how much energy waste the property potentially has and whether the rating can be improved. Each EPC gives a property a rating from A to G; A is the most efficient rating and G the least efficient and would be more common in older properties. EPCs last for 10 years. If you’re selling your property and your EPC is still valid, you don’t need to do anything other than provide the EPC to your buyer. For landlords renting out a property, you also have to provide a valid EPC for your tenants and your property must have at least an E rating in order for it to be legally let. If your EPC has expired, or you’ve never had an assessment carried out, you’ll need to arrange one before you can legally market your property for sale or for rent. At the moment, the government’s announcement regarding expected changes for 2025 is what landlords should be preparing for. Ensure you are meeting EPC requirements and keep an eye out for future updates and announcements in the rental sector. If you don’t understand something on your EPC, or it doesn’t seem right, first contact the energy assessor who carried out the report. Their details should be listed in the ‘about this document’ section. If they can’t resolve your issue, you can contact the accreditation scheme – details of which will also be listed on your EPC.

Non-Domestic Energy Performance Assessors

Implementing energy efficient technology and practices in your home can reduce your annual utility bill by anywhere from 5 to 30%. Essentially, your savings are the result of reduced energy demand: building owners can either directly reduce electricity use by installing more efficient appliances, or prevent unnecessary energy waste lost as heat through improving insulation. In order to carry out an EPC, the Energy Assessor visits the property to measure the building, record the activities that the rooms are used for and to collect data on the building services including heating and cooling plant, ventilation, hot water provision and lighting. Photographs are also taken to provide evidence of the site visit. The Energy Performance of Buildings Directive (EPBD) states that buildings constructed, sold or offered for rent require a valid Energy Performance Certificate or EPC. An Energy performance Certificate is required whenever a property is marketed for sale or rent. The EPC is lodged on to the central government register by an accredited Assessor. The EPC is valid for 10 years. The government consultation for England & Wales is proposing to raise the MEES threshold for commercial premises to B or C by 1 April 2030, with either a phased incremental increase in the threshold rating between 2023 & 2030 or a cliff edge implementation on 1 April 2030. Current exemptions look set to remain. Its always best to consult the experts when considering non domestic epc register these days.

UK LegislationAs a landlord, you have a legal responsibility to read through recommendations in your EPC report and ensure your property has the legally required rating. Landlords may spend up to a maximum of £3,500 on these energy efficiency improvements, including any funding or grants given by the government, local authorities or energy companies. An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is a report that details the energy efficiency of your home, giving it a rating between A-G. The document includes estimated energy costs, as well as providing a summary of the energy performance measures that your home has. A certified Non-Domestic Energy Assessor (NDEA) will visit your property to undertake an assessment at a time that suits you. The NDEAs we work with are qualified to the level of your property and accredited by a government body. They are regularly audited to ensure that their work complies with high quality standards. Once on site, the NDEA will take all required measurements and record information necessary to calculate the EPC rating for your property. Trading Standards are responsible for making sure that the EPCs are produced for all rented homes. If a landlord fails to provide an EPC, then Trading Standards can issue them with a notice and penalty charge of £200 per home. In addition to paying the penalty notice, the landlord will still have to provide an EPC to the tenant. All EPC’s are lodged with a central government register called the EPC register. Once in this site, you can search for any available EPC’s by selecting ‘retrieve report by using property address’ and enter the postcode. From here any EPC’s can be downloaded and are for public use. Research around mees regulations remains patchy at times.

If you are buying a new home, an EPC certificate could help you compare properties you may be looking at. If you are a seller, improving your rating could help boost the value of your property. Research from moneysupermarket.com shows the average home could be worth as much as 14 per cent more if it was upgraded to an A rating. The recommendation report on an EPC provides recommendations on using the building more effectively, cost effective improvements and other more expensive improvements which could enhance the building’s energy performance. Only an approved energy assessor can lodge data on to the domestic EPC register (the register) through their accreditation scheme. An EPC is only valid if it has been generated from data lodged on the register and each set of data has been allocated a report reference number. The register is the only official place for storing EPC data. MEES regulations set a minimum energy efficiency level for domestic, private rented properties – if your property’s EPC rating is E or above, you’re compliant with the regulations and can breathe a sigh of relief – at least for now. Around half of UK homes currently have an EPC rating of D. Improving your home’s EPC rating can increase it’s asking price by an average of 6% – there are regional variations, though, and EPCs have less influence on prices in the South East, as demand for houses is so high here. Professional assistance in relation to mees can make or break a commercial building project.

Energy Assessment MethodologyA good energy consultant should have the right licenses, equipment, heaps of positive reviews and strong experience behind their back; but actually, it goes well beyond that. Are they passionate about the industry? Have they got well-rounded skills that cater for your every need? These are a few things that you need to consider when deciding which energy consultant is right for you and whether they can provide you with a great service. Improving the EPC rating of commercial property will be essential during the coming years. Payback periods from interventions can vary, however with accurate input data and realistic intervention forecasts, building consultancy teams can help with costs and practical implementation to ensure EPC uplifts deliver to the modelled forecasts, ensuring energy and cost savings kick in as soon as possible. Where a sub-standard EPC exists, landlords can, under certain circumstances apply for exemption under prescribed grounds. Exemptions apply in their own right and are not a blanket “get out of MEES” card. Any upgrades that can be completed and are not covered by an exemption will need to be completed. Exemptions last for 5 years and need to be registered on the PRS Exemption Register, which is a public record. Exemptions cannot be transferred on the sale of a property. Should your property not already have an EPC you will be required to get one prior to selling. Many choose to do this via their estate agent for convenience purposes, but this can be a costlier option. In order to save money by arranging your EPC independently, search the EPC register’s assessor page and find an accredited domestic energy assessor. An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) looks broadly similar to the energy labels now provided with refrigerators and washing machines. Its purpose of the EPC is to indicate how energy efficient a building is. The certificate will provide an energy rating of the building from A to G, where A is very efficient and G is the least efficient. Maximising potential for epc commercial property isn't the same as meeting client requirements and expectations.

Required in Northern Ireland, England and Wales, a home energy efficiency rating will let owners/prospective buyers or tenants how costly the property is to run, and inform them of any money-saving methods that can be implemented. The Government are keen to implement ambitious energy efficiency targets for the future in order to meet its commitment to net zero emissions by 2050. The 2020 Energy white paper indicated that all commercial properties would be required to achieve an EPC rating of at least B by 2030. It is advised to consider protecting your property for these future energy targets. Whenever a property is put up for sale or is being prepared to be let to tenants, the responsible party, i.e. the property owner, landlord or responsible agent will need an EPC prior to putting the property on the market. Newly constructed properties also require an EPC. However, when a property is newly constructed, a SAP assessment will need to be carried out and an EPC obtained, much in the same way that air tightness and sound tests must be carried out prior to any sale or rentals. The penalty for failing to make an EPC available to any prospective buyer or tenant when Selling, Letting or Renewing a Lease of commercial premises is fixed, in most cases, at 12.5% of the rateable value of the building, subject to a minimum penalty of £500 and a maximum of £5,000. There is a default penalty of £750 where the formula cannot be applied. A formula is used as the costs of producing an EPC for non-dwellings are expected to vary according to the size, complexity and use of the building. The EPC will still be required. EPCs for domestic properties are really straightforward documents that give an energy rating from G to A, with a numeric scale to give a more precise figure. The scale is pretty self-explanatory, with G being a very poor rating, and A being an excellent rating. The average rating across all UK dwellings is around 60 (D). A solid understanding of commercial epc makes any related process simple and hassle free.

Increased EfficiencyThere currently isn’t a minimum EPC rating for properties for sale. Nevertheless, an EPC is required during the transaction — whether that’s transferring a land title from a pension fund, passing your property to a relative, or selling it to somebody else. Energy assessors will use approved software which perform automatic calculations (in accordance with the government's approved methodology), to determine the building's energy performance. This is then presented in the form of an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC), or for public buildings, a Display Energy Certificate (DEC). The estimated energy cost for the property on an EPC shows how much the average household would spend in this property for heating, lighting and hot water. It is not based on how energy is used by the people living at the property. Once again the potential saving is based on recommended measures being implemented. One can uncover supplementary facts appertaining to Non-Domestic Energy Performance Assessors in this UK Government Website article.

Related Articles:More Information About Commercial EPC Assessors
More Findings On Low Carbon Energy Assessors
Additional Findings With Regard To Commercial EPC Assessors
Additional Findings With Regard To Qualified Domestic Energy Assessors
Additional Information With Regard To Fully Accredited Commercial Energy Assessors
Supplementary Insight On Domestic and Commercial EPC Assessors
More Insight With Regard To Qualified Domestic Energy Contractors

Previous post     
     Next post
     Blog home

The Wall

No comments
You need to sign in to comment


By Harvery
Added Nov 6 '23


Your rate:
Total: (0 rates)